Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes

Whenever I pick a dessert recipe, I tend to lean towards chocolate.  You can't go wrong with chocolate!  Every now and then, I'll crave something without chocolate. Crazy, right?  These snickerdoodle cupcakes are perfect for a non-chocolate dessert that still has PLENTY of sweetness!  These were one of two flavors of cupcakes I made for Carson's second birthday party!


What You Need for the CUPCAKES:
1-2/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 large egg (I use Egg Beaters)
1/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup milk (I used Lactaid)
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

How to Make the CUPCAKES:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.  (Note: This recipe makes about 12-14 cupcakes.)
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of your stand mixer, use your whisk attachment to mix your melted butter and 1 cup of the sugar.  Whisk in egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined.
  4. Slowly mix in your dry ingredients a little at a time until no lumps remain.
  5. In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and cinnamon.  Set aside.
  6. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter into each muffin cup.  Top each with 1 tsp. of the cinnamon-sugar mixture.  (It seems like a lot, but don't worry!)  Top with another heaping tablesppon of batter.  Your wells should be about 3/4 full.  Top each cupcake with another teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
  7. Bake for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcake.  Cool completely before frosting.
What You Need for the FROSTING:
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
3-4 Tbsp. milk (I used Lactaid)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

How to Make the FROSTING:
  1. Beat butter until light and fluffy.  Add sugar a half cup at a time until completely incorporated.  
  2. Add up to 4 tablespoons of milk if the frosting gets too thick.
  3. Add vanilla and cinnamon, beating just until combined.
  4. Pipe your buttercream onto your cupcakes!
*Note: I had tons of leftover frosting.  I'm not sure if a half batch of the frosting would cover your cupcakes, but I used my leftover frosting to eat with graham crackers - delicious!


I got fancy with my frosting this time and I'm not going to lie, I was pretty proud.  :)

Original recipe can be found here.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment