Thursday, May 23, 2013

DIY Birthday Favors using Kool-Aid!

As most of you know, Carson had a WHALE of a first birthday.  Corny enough?  :)  I wanted to have some favors for the kids who came to Carson's party, but I didn't want to spend a lot and I didn't want to send them home with junky toys or junk food!

I saw the idea of making play-doh with Kool-Aid on Pinterest a while ago and pinned it for future reference to use with Carson.  Then I saw the idea of giving the dry ingredients for this play-doh as a party favor.  Since kids of all ages like play-doh, I figured this was a win-win!  (The kids attending our party ranged in age from 11 months to 7 years old.)  Once they get home, the parents only need to add water and oil!

DIY Kool-Aid Play-Doh
What You Need:
1 cup boiling water
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
1/2 cup salt*
1 cup flour*
1 Kool-Aid packet*
*Items marked with an asterisk are provided if you choose to make party favors!

How to Make:
Stir boiling water, oil, and salt until dissolved.
Stir in flour and Kool-Aid.  The mixture will be thick, gluey, and hot.
Mix until cool enough to knead to desired consistency.
Store your dough in an air tight container or ziplock baggie in the refrigerator.  I provided containers for my guests as well.


First, I made a test batch to make sure the recipe was legit.  I also typed up little "recipe" cards.

Next I made labels for the favor bags.  I created my label in Microsoft Word.

These are the items that were included in my bags (plus a small container for the play-doh).

I also used a ribbon to tie a sea-themed cookie cutter to the outside.  I was hoping to find all whales, but I found a pack of "under the sea" cookie cutters on Amazon that was super cheap so I went with that!

Here is the final product!  I think the kids enjoyed them and I feel good about not sending them home with junk! 


Here is the original pin with the favor idea:




I'm linking up with Katie & Stephanie today!
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome idea for a kid's birthday party! xoxo, Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this idea and may use this for Dominick's party favors (and I'm glad to know that it actually works)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! I was just talking with my co-workers about using Kool-Aid for other stuff too, like did you know you could dye your hair or yarn with it!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for a party favor! I need to remember this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! I love that you included a cookie cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, can you just send me all of your decor? We decided we're using Party City's "Ocean Preppy" theme for Pierce's first birthday lol. So whales, octopi (lol I love that word), & various sea critters!

    ReplyDelete