Thursday, April 10, 2014

DIY Name Art {For the Nursery}

For the longest time I couldn't think of what I wanted to hang above Mason's crib.  I considered a wall decal, I considered a little flag bunting/banner, and I thought of other ideas.  I just kept coming back to name art.  Carson loves the name art we hung over his crib and loves to spell out his name with me.  I figured it would be a fun little thing to make for Mason, too!  I wanted to change it up this time so I made Mason's name art a little different than the way I made Carson's.  (Scroll down to see a picture of Carson's!)



What You Need
Wooden Letters
Paint, Paint Brush(es)
Canvas (I bought an 8x24 for a 5-letter name)
Fabric
Hot glue gun
Thumb Tacks**
Ribbon (optional)

How to Make

  1. First paint your wooden letters.  I chose a dark gray color called "Hippo Gray".  I painted the fronts of the letters first with a sponge brush and then went back and painted the sides with a smaller angled paintbrush.
  2. Iron your fabric and cut to size.  I bought an 8"x24" canvas and I purchased 1/3yd. of fabric.  
  3. Once your fabric is prepped, wrap your canvas.  Wrap the edges like you would wrap a gift and staple into place.
  4. Place your wooden letters on the canvas to plan your spacing.  Once you have them placed how you like, stick them on with some hot glue!
  5. Optional: If you want to add in another color, glue a piece of ribbon around the edge of the canvas to add some dimension.  I thought about doing this with navy blue ribbon but then decided I liked it without the ribbon.
**After using my hot glue gun to glue my letters onto the fabric covered canvas, I discovered they didn't seem very secure.  Because this will be hung over Mason's crib, I decided to secure them a little better.  I got some thumb tacks from my desk drawer and pushed them through the back of the canvas into the letters.  This really holds the letters in place with no chance of falling!


I bought all of my supplies at JoAnn's and the total cost of this project was under $15!  I used a 25% off total purchase coupon and bought the items while many of them were on sale.  

Here's a look at the name art I made a few years ago for Carson's nursery.  Similar, but different.  :)



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Both of them are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have a similar name hanging above my girl's bed, except that each letter is on its own mini canvas. She only has a four-letter name, but her baby sister coming in July has a longer name, so I might have to use your idea to make hers a bit smaller! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete