Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Crockpot Potato Soup! [Tasty Tuesday]

It's winter here in Ohio.  Yuck.  I've been counting down the days until spring since September!  I don't mind seeing some snow now and then but I really hate the cold.  (And the fact that Ohioans forget how to drive in the snowy conditions every year.  And yes, I'm an Ohioan.)  When I saw this recipe on Pinterest, I knew I had to try it out.  The pin and blog state that it's a Paula Dean recipe, but after a quick Google search, I'm not really sure this recipe originated from Paula Dean or not.  There's no butter so I'm a little skeptical....


What You Need:
1 (30 oz.) bag frozen hashbrown potatoes (I use the southern style)
2 (14 oz.) cans chicken broth*
1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of chicken soup*
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 tsp. ground black pepper
1 (8oz) package cream cheese (softened)
Garnish: minced green onion, shredded cheese, bacon, etc.

How to Make It:
Combine potatoes, broth, soup, onion, and pepper.  Gently stir ingredients until combined.
Cover, and cook on low for 5 hours.
Stir in cream cheese, and let cook for an additional 30 minutes.  (Stir occasionally until cream cheese is fully melted in with the soup.) 
Garnish with ingredients of your choice.  I used green onion and shredded cheddar cheese.

**Vegetarian Option:
I made this recipe vegetarian by using vegetable broth and cream of celery soup.  I'll probably try it the other way too (mainly to please Nick because he insists it will taste better), but I thought it was delicious as a vegetarian option!  Nick also pointed out that if it wasn't vegetarian, we could have added bacon.  Such a man.



Here is the original pin:



I'm linking up with these blogs:
i love you more than carrots



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment