Monday, November 5, 2012

A Day in the Life...

I'm linking up with Becky again today!  Her link-up is so perfect since I'm getting more new readers.  If you came over from my old blog, hopefully you learn something new about me!



1. Tell us what you studied in college. Is your job now related to what you studied?
I studied Early Childhood Education.  I am certified to teach PreK-5 and also Reading (K-12).    Right out of college I substitute taught for a year in three local school districts before getting a job in the district where I live.  I've taught reading intervention, kindergarten intervention, and 1st grade.  I'm currently taking some time off to stay at home with my son, Carson.  I guess my current job as a SAHM is somewhat related to my degree because I'm a teacher to my son and I did study Early Childhood Development!  

2. Tell us what your everyday job looks like.

Now that I'm a SAHM, my days vary much more than when I was teaching!  Now every day I wake up between 6-7am for Carson's first feeding.  Some days he is sleepy enough to go back to sleep after that, some days he wants to get up to play.  If he goes back to sleep, that is when I blog, clean, eat, shower, etc.  I do stuff that I can't necessarily do when he's awake.  Once he is up for the day, we get ready for the day and play or go wherever we need to go.  Playing at home with a 5 month old consists of reading stories, tummy time, practicing sitting up/rolling over/standing, jumperoo time, etc.  When (IF) Carson naps, I use that time to eat lunch, start dinner, clean, etc.  Every week we also go to baby story time at our local library and we try to go to a new mom's group as well.  I like to get out as much as we can.  We also try to go to new parks for long walks.  At some point (after I do my meal planning for the week), we go grocery shopping too.  It might sound boring to you, but I love my "job"!

3. Do you have a picture of you at work? Show us.

The first picture is not at our house, but it's still me doing my job as a momma.  Obviously Carson thinks I deserve a bonus!



4. In 10 years, what do you see yourself doing? Same thing? More? Tell us.

In 10 years I would guess I'll be teaching again.  I can't imagine staying home while my kids are in school.  While I would get a TON done around the house, I would get awfully bored and lonely!

5. Tell us what you have learned, and what {if any} recommendations you may have for those looking to go into the field you are in. 

First I'll talk about education here.  The most important thing I learned was that you need to know people!  That is why I subbed in 3 districts (and volunteered in 1).  You need to know people to get your foot in the door for an interview!  When I was done student teaching in college, I still had about 4 weeks left before the school year ended, but I didn't have my license yet so I couldn't sub.  I decided to volunteer in the district where I lived and that's where I ended up getting my first teaching job!  Do whatever you can to meet people and make a good impression!

As far as being a SAHM, I would say the first step would be (obviously), talk to your husband!  I LOVED teaching (and still do) so it was actually a really hard decision for me to leave my career.  Especially since I had worked so hard to get that career!  I knew I would be happy being with Carson every day, but I felt so guilty leaving my career and my co-workers.  You should also definitely consider finances.  Make sure you and your husband are on the same page!  Talk about what (if any) changes you'll need to make to your budget and/or lifestyle.  Make sure expectations are clear.  Some husbands think SAHMs should do EVERYTHING at home.  While I do a lot more than I did while I was working as a teacher, I still believe in teamwork and Nick helps with a lot at home still!  



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment