Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving Re-Cap [Tasty Tuesday]

Last week I posed my Thanksgiving menu since we were hosting.  This week I decided to review a couple of the recipes since they were new to me!  Here's our spread:
Like my free printables?  Find them on my Pinterest!
Here's our table all set with our china and crystal which I LOVE to use!

I wanted to do little place cards for everyone, but I ended up running out of time (and creativity).  I decided to make some delicious smelling Christmas ornaments as little "favors" instead.  These are SO easy and they made my house smell delicious while they were baking!  You mix equal parts cinnamon and applesauce (I used about 1.5 cups of each).  Once the mixture starts to look like cookie dough, roll it out and use a cookie cutter to cut your shapes.  Bake it in the oven at 200 degrees for 2 hours.  I was in a rush and I think I rolled my dough a bit too thin, but they still smelled delicious and looked decent.
Decent, right?  They smelled better than they looked!

The most important part of Thanksgiving is the turkey, right?  Well the recipe I found from Taste of Home for Moist Turkey Breast did NOT disappoint!  It was my first turkey [breast] and I got a lot of compliments on how moist and flavorful it was.  Not going to lie, I felt pretty awesome since I've had some pretty dry turkey before!  The recipe was super easy, too and since I made a turkey breast, it only took about 3 hours to cook!

I also made the Scalloped Potatoes from Food.com.  I've never made scalloped potatoes (except boxed) and I was pretty pleased with how easy these were!  I made politely asked Nick to peel the potatoes for me while I played with Carson for a bit.  I have a julienne food slicer very similar to this one and it worked perfectly (and quickly) for slicing my potatoes nice and thin.  I was excited that this recipe called for paprika and cayenne pepper because I thought it would give the potatoes a little kick.  However, once baked, I could barely taste the seasonings.  I was a little disappointed, but they still tasted like cheesy potatoes which was obviously delicious!  Who doesn't love cheese and carbs?!

I also made Skinny Taste's Cranberry Pear Sauce.  I'm usually not a fan of cranberry sauce.  I'm not sure why b/c I could live on cranberry juice!  I picked this recipe because I love pears so I thought it might make the cranberry sauce taste better to me.  The sauce was tasty but it wasn't something I'll make again.  It did look pretty though so if you want to add some color to an otherwise beige meal, this is perfect for that!

The last new recipe I tried was the Peanut Butter Brownie Trifle.  By the way, why do some people call this a truffle?!  It drives me crazy.  Almost as crazy as I get when I try to figure out the difference between sweet potatoes and yams.  Seriously.  Anyway, the trifle was UH-mazing.  I made boxed brownies for the brownie layer (easy way out).  For the whipped cream, I was lazy smart again and used Cool Whip [insert Stewie Griffin voice].  I almost used vanilla pudding instead of chocolate, but I'm glad I went with the chocolate.  That peanut butter layer is DELISH.  I also omitted the Reese's Cups from the top.  Crazy, I know.  I set a bowl of Reese's Pieces next to the trifle as a little topping and I liked the added crunch!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment