Thursday, March 14, 2013

St. Patrick's Day Decor + DIY Banner

St. Patrick's Day is coming up soon!  Am I the only crazy one that decided to decorate for this drinking Irish holiday?  I know at least one other person in my neighborhood did because they have a flag out front.  I put my Valentine's decor up almost immediately after taking our Christmas decorations down, so I was starting to get tired of it as soon as Valentine's Day was over.  Here's Carson showing off his Irish side!

I kept my St. Patrick's Day decorations SUPER simple.  It's actually kind of hard to find [cheap] decorations for these little holidays!  I try to have a festive printable for every season/holiday and Eighteen25 never lets me down!  Here's a link to their St. Patrick's Day FREE subway art.  I also always try to dress up my little hurricane vase with my candle.  I was hoping to find some green candies but I settled on Easter grass instead because it was SO cheap.  Plus I can keep it in there when I switch out to Easter decor.  Bonus! :)


I found this cute little glittery sign in the Target dollar spot.  Is it honestly possible to go to Target and NOT stop at the dollar spot?

My mantle is pretty lame for St. Patty's Day.  Maybe I'd be more inspired if I was 100% Irish.  Probably not though.  I've been trying to find a 'Keep Calm & ...' printable for every season and so far I've been pretty successful!  I found this one on Google images.  If you search, make sure to search for LARGE images only so they look ok when you print them out!

I made this banner myself one day during Carson's nap.  Scroll down for directions on how to make your own!



DIY Festive Banner

{Step 1}: Decide on a background.  I chose chevron and found my image here through Google images.  Save your background image to your computer and upload to PicMonkey.com (use the "Edit an Image" option).

{Step 2}: This step is optional, but I think it makes the letters stand out better against your background!  Once your background image is uploaded to PicMonkey, go to the overlays option [see image below].  From the overlays menu, choose 'Geometric'.  I chose a circle background for my letters and faded it out a bit so you could see the chevron.  You can do whatever you want!

{Step 3}: Once you have a background shape for your text, it's time to add text!  Do this by hitting the 'P' text button [see image below].  Once you're in the text menu, you can choose the size, color, and font for your text.  I used the 'Rye' font for my banner.

{Step 4}: Save your image and print!  You can print as an 8x10 or 5x7 image.  I did 5x7 so I could do two images per page.  Next you will need to repeat steps 1-3 to create each of your letters.  Once you do it a few times it's SO quick!

{Step 5}: Cut out a triangle as a base template using scrap paper.  Use this template for each letter so that they are all the same size triangles.  Next, glue your triangles to another piece of paper to add some dimension and stability.  I used brown grocery bags since they're free and I felt like recycling!  I would suggest something a little sturdier like cardstock, though, because my banner is starting to curl a bit!  :/

Finally, hang your banner and enjoy your free craft!  Here's a close up of mine:



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Found you through WILW yesterday! He is the cutest! I love how his little fingers almost look like they are showing the "wee bit Irish" that his shirt says he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute banner!
    I did decorate, but I have to admit, my decorations are sparse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this DIY. I saw this on another blog and wondered how they did it, so I'm glad you decided to share. Love your blog and your little boy is just the cutest. I'm a new boy Mom and I can't wait to follow you on your Mommyhood adventures.

    ReplyDelete